Dear Parents and Carers
I hope this weekly update finds you well. Thankfully the weather has been a bit better this week and whilst not always dry, we have not needed to have any disruption.
I must say I have been really impressed with pupil’s punctuality this week which has meant lessons have got off to a flying start. Thank you for supporting this message at home – I have seen a really good improvement in this regard and it was a pleasure to tour round the site today three visitors – Jon Webb, the Regional Director for Ambitions; Sian Thomas, the CEO of Ambitions and The Reverend John Mackenzie who has taken on the leadership of All Saints Church. Thank you to all pupils who welcomed our guests and shared their work with them.
This week has certainly been a very busy and fruitful one outside of the classroom too with the following events taking place:
- Whole School Remembrance Act of Worship today – this was impeccably observed
- Year 10 Rugy Tournament – a long and late afternoon; well done to the Year 10 lads
- The implementation of our Peer Mentoring scheme for Year 7 & 8 pupils – a great way to get to know other pupils in the school and spend some time reading a good book
- A Sea Cadets evening on Portland – well done to all of our Cadets for your work this weekend!
- Members of the School Council had the chance to meet the Town Mayor at the “Meet the Mayor” evening this week – a great chance to learn about our democracy
- Year 10 Football Game vs. Budmouth. A loss unfortunately but the winning streak will return
- Year 8 had Simon from Weymouth Outdoor Education Centre come and talk with pupils about real life applications of Geography in the working world
- Positively You delivered workshops to Year 8, 9 & 10 on Monday – we hope pupils enjoyed these
- Year 7 Basketball game vs Atlantic – great determination and team work throughout
Mr Purkis and I also spent time with pupils in assembly reflecting on British Values and the need to understand these clearly in 2023.
I think the above would certainly count as “living life to the full.” Well done to all pupils getting involved.
Coming up, we have the following events:
- Year 11 Mocks – These will last for the next two weeks. Year 11 pupils should line up in the Courtyard and Year 7 should line up on West Playground for the next two weeks
- Operation Sceptre Talk – this is being delivered on 20 November to pupils in Year 10 and covers the dangers of knife crime as part of a country wide Police initiative
- Woman in Black visit – this is on 23 November
- Year 7 Parents Evening – this is on 30 November. Please do book your appointments via School Cloud but remember that this is a face to face event on site
Looking even further ahead, I have sent out this week communication about Christmas Jumper Day and the annual Christmas Meal, as well as details about the Dry Ski Slope preparation for those going on the Ski Trip next year.
There is a huge amount going on – please encourage your child to get involved positively.
Finally, thank you for all of your support as ever. If you ever need to, please contact the office directly and they will pass details to the right person who can help.
I hope you enjoy a restful and peaceful weekend